Key takeaways from [ Presentation: “ǝnןɐʌ: Why we have it backwards” Track: When the Agile Manifesto isn’t enough | Shmuel Gershon | GOTO 2013]. Special mention for the best hand-made/home-made slides – get them here.
Software is a knowledge storage medium
Think about it – where do you have your know-how, your calendar, your to-do list, google it… IT is the digital tool we use to store our knowledge, to enable us to do the things we want to do. Shmuel has a great historic overview over the evolution of places to store knowledge. IT and software as of now has among other things the ability to be updated fast, to tell about the intention of the solution, the ability to self-modify and change the outside world directly.
We can start using the word knowledge more:
- Does our software need more knowledge?
- Does our software need to represent more knowledge?
- What else do we need to know?
- What is the best representation of the wicked problem?
- What do we know – we don’t know?
Value is often to learn something new