Here are some quotes from actual test mission statements from the last 10 years. Test always is changing. Come to think of it, it’s only dead if it stands still.
We discover and measure the quality of the system:
– to test everything is utopia,
– we should test something, something new, something old (and something blue?)
The primary objective for testing is to reveal the quality of the delivery. The revealed quality is documented in test reports, that serves as suggestions for decisions on approval or rejection of the delivery. Key principles: early involvement, structured testing, based on V-model, documented, COTS tools (TestDirector)
Testing is the structured activity of identifying the quality and improving the quality of the an IT-supported product or project
– Identification of quality = Preparing and executing a test activity
– Improving the quality = Evaluation, fixing and retesting of raised incident
Test provides information about the quality of IT-supported product or project, with that information:
– Quality of products can be improved
– Project decisions can be based on facts
– Processes can be investigated for improvement
Testing has the mission of providing information to the project about the quality of the business features of the solution.
Testing is about learning about the quality solution, not about confirming, verifying or assuring.
Test is about adjusting, not about following a strict script and knowing everything up front.